Home of the Electronic Certificate of Veterinary Inspection.


Experience you can trust

Get in touch

Vet Sentry

Vet Sentry a division of River City Data (RCD):

Take Your Pet from the U.S. to a Foreign Country

Traveling with a pet to a foreign country can be a time-consuming and complex process that requires some careful preparation. At Vet-Sentry, we make the process of obtaining a veterinary certificate for your pets easy, ensuring you are prepared for travel with your pet within the U.S. or to another country.

What to Know First

Before you begin the process, there is some important information to have in order.

Be aware that the USDA Form 7001 is still the ONLY recognized form for US animal travel internationally. In addition, some states now also require an electronic form in addition to Form 7001 and these can be provided by the government and a few private companies such as Vet Sentry. The USDA Form 7001 can be found here: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf.

Along with knowing the type of animal you are taking with you on your trip, you also need to know your destination country and what day you will be leaving the U.S.

Assuming you are traveling with your pet and it is not traveling alone, will your pet travel with someone in the cabin of the plane or in the cargo section?

Pet Owner’s Responsibility

As the pet owner, you are responsible for ensuring that your pet meets the requirements of the destination country. If you fail to meet these requirements, you may run into obstacles obtaining the certificate(s) you need or difficulties with the acceptance of your health certificate(s) once you arrive at your destination country. All animal health certificates must be complete, accurate, and readable.

Traveling to a Destination Country with Your Pet

Most countries require a veterinary health certificate (international health certificate) for pets passing through their borders. Specific requirements are set by the destination country. Confirm the requirements of the destination country each time you travel with a pet. Here is a good resource with the USDA: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel.

Pet Birds and Other Exotic Animals

You may need to meet the requirements of multiple agencies when transporting a pet bird or other exotic animal from the U.S. to a foreign country. These agencies may include U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), and the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service’s (APHIS) Veterinary Services (VS) Program. If you plan to bring your pet(s) back to the U.S., prepare in advance to meet the reentry requirements as well. Your veterinarian is your best guide to these procedures.

It is also important to check with your airline or shipping representative to determine what their policies and requirements are for transporting pets internationally.

Interstate Animal Movement Requirements

Quick, accurate access to state import requirements for livestock.


Get Veterinary Inspection Certificates

At Vet Sentry, we enable the efficient production of certificates of veterinary inspection in electronic form. For more information about our services to veterinarians, give us a call today at 320.216.7617 or email us at info@Vet-Sentry.com.

Vet Sentry uses cookies and similar technologies as strictly necessary to make our site work. We and our partners would also like to set additional cookies to analyze your use of our site, to personalize and enhance your visit to our site and to show you more relevant content and advertising. These will be set only if you accept.